Wednesday, March 30, 2011

by Saki Mu

I had really interesting homestay weekend last weekend. On Friday night, Miyuki, Saki and I were picked up for the stay at 4:30pm. My host family were really nice and answered lots of questions that we asked about cultural difference topics that we had. We each had different topic so they made a question time for us. I’ve found out many interesting things about our topics.

I think homestay is the best way to learn about different culture and discovering what is different from Japan. There were many interesting differences between Japanese and American way of thinking. First of all, Saki asked about her topic,’ junior and senior relationship’, which was really interesting. She asked to our host parents if they have specific ways of showing respect like Japanese do, such as bowing and using specific word forms for respect. Mr. Gary said they don’t use specific form of words because English is English. He said there is some way to show respect to the elderly people, but not as formal as Japanese do. He said Japanese act in a more formal way to show their respect. Secondly, I think Americans always says nice compliments. When we were at the table eating dinner, Mr. Gary always said nice thing to Mrs.Lexi, who made the meal. I thought this is a really nice thing to do, because I hardly say compliments when I’m eating in Japan. It was hard for me to try to say “It’s delicious” because it was unusual for me. In Japan, some people say compliments, but not many. In Japan, quiet means good. However, it is not same in America. We have to speak to show our respect and silence means bad in America. I have to keep reminding myself to speak out for the compliments.


I’ve found out many differences between Japanese and American way of thinking while I stayed at my host family’s house. In addition, I have learned many precious things from my host family. Hearing about relationship and table manners was very interesting. I didn’t know that in the past, men had to care women every single minute whenever they were having meals. I think I have to learn more cultural differences between America and Japan to understand more deeply.

No comments:

Post a Comment