Friday, April 1, 2011

Compare and Contrast the Teaching Style

by Yuko

We’ve taken classes in MWU for about a year before we came to MFWI and then we began to take classes at MFWI about two weeks ago. I feel the area of classrooms in MFWI is smaller than that of MWU, but almost always we have only eleven students in the class, so the area doesn’t matter for me. Moreover, the area is exactly appropriate for the number of our classmates to take the class, and I feel peacefulness by gathering in the smaller classroom in MFWI than in MWU with our classmates. We can be interactive in MFWI classrooms such as giving our opinion often because the largeness of the classroom of MFWI is a little bit smaller than that of MWU and the atmosphere in the classroom is relaxed in MFWI. We sometimes had too large classrooms for only eleven students of us in MWU to take the class. The largeness of the classroom of MWU made something quiet atmosphere, so I might have been being a little bit hesitated to speak up in the MWU class.

Eleven of us are almost always in the same classroom in MWU except the time we were taking liberal art classes and third language classes such as French or German. Most of the teacher who taught us the liberal art just gave us the lecture, and usually I didn’t have the chance to give my opinion in the liberal art classes in MWU. Before I came to MFWI, I read some books which tell me the fact that the participation in classes is really important in the school in America, so I have been wondering how the class would be in MFWI. Actually almost all teachers of us in MFWI urge us to tell our opinion a lot in the class. So I try to speak up what I think as much as possible. But, sometimes I feel so sleepy because I can’t spend enough time to sleep; therefore, I can’t raise my hand often under such a situation. So, I would like you to know this reason.


While we had classes which teachers only speak and students kept their silence, we were just given knowledge and skills. On the contrary, while we are in MFWI, we try to get ideas and wisdom by exchanging our opinion between teachers and students. So, I can say the teaching style in MFWI draws our activeness than the passiveness, which we are needed in most of our liberal art classes in MWU.

No comments:

Post a Comment