Wednesday, March 30, 2011

A good city, Seattle


by Sayuri

Hello, Seattle. It was the second time for me to visit Seattle. I really like Seattle because it is similar to my hometown Kobe. In addition, there are a lot of Asians, and Seattle is the sister city of Kobe, so I feel comfortable. Even though it was the second time for me to visit Seattle, I had some interesting cultural experiences about Asians on the West Coast Trip. Ichiro, Asian students at University of Washington and a Chinese noodle restaurant are the key. Many Asians work hard in Seattle.

First, I saw a big poster of Ichiro when I entered Safeco Field. There were also many Ichiro goods at the Team Store. He had made a lot of records not only in Japan but also in the U.S. It must be difficult to keep playing nicely for long time. However, he does it because of his great effort. The big Ichiro poster, Ichiro magazines and a lot of his goods showed me his greatness. Second, 19% of students at the University of Washington are Asian. I was a little bit surprised to hear that at first. While I was walking on the campus, I saw many Asian students who spoke English. Moreover, there were many Korean and Chinese students and a few Japanese. In Japan, I heard the news about the number of Japanese students who study abroad was decreasing. I recognized that the news was true. Finally, I went to a Chinese noodle restaurant with my friends at dinner on the first day. The restaurant was called Samurai and surprisingly, a Japanese man ran it. The restaurant was busy, poplar and cheerful. The taste of the noodle, fried rice and Chinese dumplings was good. I was glad to see the restaurant which was run by the Japanese man was popular in Seattle.

The trip was really busy, so I was tired. Nevertheless, I felt comfortable at the same time because Seattle was similar to Kobe. Additionally, I could see Asians' great hard work. If I have another opportunity to visit Seattle again, I want to meet more Asians, especially Japanese. Seattle was a wonderful city and Asians who live there were also cool.

2 comments:

  1. I agree with you. I also felt comfortable beacause Seattle is similar to Kobe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoyed reading your journal because you focused on not only places but also Asian people.

    ReplyDelete