Wednesday, April 13, 2011

My classroom observation

By Sae Before I came into my pan pal’s algebra classroom, she mentioned that her class is the worst in this high school. Consequently, I wasn’t surprised when I walked into her classroom. As she mention, it is the one of class with free atmosphere. There were different grade students in same class. It is impossible in Japan in order to have time schedule for each grade in high school, so I didn’t know students in American high school choose classes which they really want to do. I think it is good system because they can have a chance for getting some credit if they fail. When class started, there are no bells; therefore, I didn’t realize that class began at first. In class, I couldn’t help find difference between Japan and American school style because there were many interesting situations for me. Teacher just gave some practice paper to students, and then student were supposed to do own work. However, classroom wasn’t quiet at all. Some students do their works, but the others were talking. There was another difference. Teacher didn’t warm them once. According to my pen pal, it depends on students to have much homework or do your work in the class instead taking with friends. Normally, Japanese teachers hate that students talk and don’t do their work. Students are not even allowed to eat or drink during the class in Japan. Therefore I felt it was very cozy in her classroom because some students were eating. I always think why students can’t eat or drink during class even though students do their work. Even so, I think students shouldn’t leave classroom until it finishes. I think it is too much freedom for students. In the last ten minutes of class, students suddenly stopped working or chatting. I couldn’t understand what they started at all. Then, they started packing their stuff and stood in front of door for leaving classroom as soon as possible. However teacher didn’t even say anything. That was most surprising thing for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment